Summary: With a growing need to recruit the future nephrology workforce, medical educators and members of the nephrology community are turning to innovative approaches to improve communication and stimulate dialogue in the field. One feasible strategy is the use of electronic collaboration tools such as Slack (Slack Technologies, San Francisco, CA), which facilitates real-time conversational communication in a private or semiprivate virtual workspace. The potential uses of Slack for nephrology education, research collaboration, and community building are outlined in this overview.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seminars in Nephrology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The global nephrology workforce: emerging threats and potential solutions!.Clin Kidney J. 2016; 9: 11-22
- Addressing the global shortage of nephrologists.Nat Clin Pract Nephrol. 2008; 4: 583
- Burden of disease: prevalence and incidence of ESRD in Latin America.Clin Nephrol. 2015; 83: 3-6
- 2016 USRDSannual data report: epidemiology of kidney disease in the United States.National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, 2016 (Available from: https://www.usrds.org/adr. Accessed December 1, 2019)
- Perceptions of nephrology among medical students and internal medicine residents: a national survey among institutions with nephrology exposure.BMC Nephrol. 2019; 20: 146
- Training the public physician: the nephrology social media collective internship.Semin Nephrol. 2020; 40: 320-327
- How scientists use Slack.Nature. 2016; 541: 123-124
- Lessons learned from a pilot study implementing a team-based messaging application (Slack) to improve communication and teamwork in veterinary medical education.J Vet Med Educ. 2020; 47: 18-26
- Integration of Slack, a cloud-based team collaboration application, into research coordination.J Innov Health Inform. 2017; 24: 936
- NephMadness after 5 years: a recap and game plan for the future.Am J Kidney Dis. 2018; 71: 299-301
- Slack it to me: complementing LMS with student-centric communications for the millennial/post-millennial student.J Market Educ. 2019; 41: 91-108
- Using Slack to facilitate virtual small groups for individualized interactive instruction.AEM Educ Train. 2019; 3: 92-95
- The use of Slack for medical residency development and recruiting.J Innov Health Inform. 2018; 25: 194-195
- Is Slack HIPAA compliant?.HIPAA Journal. 2019; ([cited 2020 January 6]. Available from:)
Financial disclosure and conflict of interest statements: none.
© 2020 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.